In this episode, we’re going to delve into a philosophy of adulthood that makes it empowering and liberating, rather than onerous and burdensome. We challenge a few popular notions, like that self-love is self-centred, or that truth is irrelevant in a world where narrative is everything. This is the guide to life that your parents should have given you by the age of 18, but didn’t.
Your hosts are Luke Chao, founder of The Morpheus Clinic for Hypnosis, and Pascal Langdale, the newest addition to our team. While Luke has been a lifelong hypnotherapist and speaks from that perspective, Pascal has had a diverse and wide-ranging career—most prominently in the performing arts—and is a father in a blended family.
In this episode, we talk about how:
- There is inherent value in being alive and honoring one’s life, regardless of circumstances. Our existence is extraordinary given the low probability of being born as you are.
- Self-care, self-love, and self-respect are important for well-being and ensuring one can continue serving themselves well through challenges.
- As adults, we have freedom but can feel overwhelmed by choices; focusing inward on our values can help navigate this.
- Play, joy, art and culture are important parts of being alive that celebrate life even during hard times.
- Telling the truth, even when uncomfortable, is better in the long run for one’s conscience and relationships than lying or denial.
- Maintaining curiosity and openness to new experiences into adulthood helps ensure a full, rich life with continuous learning and growth.
- Responsibility in adulthood can be recast positively as freedom and agency rather than a burden, depending how one was parented.
- Adulthood freedoms help one navigate difficulties, unlike childhood where options were limited.
- Self-care and fulfillment of basic needs are prerequisites for happiness.
- With greater power as an adult comes opportunity to shape the world for good through one’s responsibilities.
Table of contents:
00:00 – Introduction
00:57 – You are the captain of your own ship
04:23 – Care for yourself because you are life
08:21 – Speak to yourself as a friend
09:39 – Why we should care for ourselves
14:44 – Find a common humanity
18:40 – Why adults should care about truth
24:41 – Prefer pro-social views
26:17 – Choose your path
32:34 – Take responsibility
37:18 – Outro
Listen above, on Apple Podcasts or on Spotify, or watch the full video on YouTube, free of third-party advertising. Remember to like, subscribe and share!